Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Adverbial clauses -- two warnings about

from Ruge Rules

1) An adverbial clause may never be the object of a preposition [*see the pertinent SAT Question of the Day below].

Wrong: I suppose death is like when you go to sleep and don't wake up.

Right: I suppose death is like going to sleep and not waking up.

(Note: in correcting for the used of the adverbial clause as the object of the preposition "like," we are automatically correcting for the used of the indefinite "you.")

2) An adverbial clause may never be used as a predicate nominative.

Wrong: The reason I like my math class is because Doc Arnds keeps me on my toes.
Right: The reason I like my math class is that Doc Arnds keeps me on my toes.

Wrong: Cheating is when you copy someone else's work.
Right: Cheating is copying someone else's work.


SAT Question of the Day™

Part of each sentence is underlined; beneath each sentence are five ways of phrasing the underlined material. Select the option that produces the best sentence. If you think the original phrasing produces a better sentence than any of the alternatives, select choice A.

British author Charles Dodgson, best known by his pen name Lewis Carroll, is renowned for when he wrote two of the most famous and admired children's books in the world, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and its sequel, Through the Looking-Glass.

a) is renowned for when he wrote
b) renowned in that he wrote
c) received renown, he wrote
d) is renowned for writing
e) was renowned and wrote

No comments: